Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Results

Well, I must say I've learned a lot of new tricks these past 6 weeks.  I definitely learned about myself, and my cravings, and that I'm the boss of them.  I was pleased to discover many things I'd already been doing right, and I'm excited to incorporate several new standards into my daily diet.  Some of the biggest, positive revelations were:
  • How refreshing it is to start off the day with a hot mug of lemon water
  • That soaked dried figs and dates make amazing, natural substitutes for sugar
  • A glass of Rejuvelac is a tasty and uplifting alternative to an afternoon coffee 
  • That I was able to break all of my cravings in as little as a few days, and in only 2 weeks for the stronger ones 
  • That I haven't been nearly adventurous enough when it comes to making my own herbal teas, and how nice it is to have the knowledge of what herb to use for each medicinal purpose
  • Raw, sprouted breads are not only delicious, but good for you and a cinch to make
  • That just 2-3 days on a juice cleanse can really clean you out - and it's tasty too!
  • What have I been thinking by never adding yam to my smoothies before?!
  • Salted nuts are OK as an afternoon snack, but some raw sprouted almonds + flax-rice crackers with Supergreens mix is way tastier 
  • That a macrobiotic diet makes a lot of sense.  You eat delicious + nutritious foods, feel satisfied, full of energy, and detoxify all at once.  I'll definitely be incorporating much more of these principles into my standard regime.

Truth be told, there were also a few cons (or things I'm still unclear offer more benefit):
  • Raw, sprouted grains.  They're tasty made into raw breads + crackers, but not so much as a side dish.
  • A full "Raw" diet in general.  I really liked some of the dishes I discovered - raw cheeses, nut mylks, raw quiche, marinated beet salad, raw carrot cake, chilled soups - and will continue to include in my regular diet going forward.  But, both my boyfriend and I experienced lots of loud stomach gurgling, which I discovered is not uncommon for a raw foods diet for the first 90 days of transition.  Also, I'm just not convinced that eating cooked whole grains and other well-prepared cooked foods is a bad thing.  I will incorporate more raw in general and now have some great, new recipes to pull from.
 
Overall, it was a great experience!
  • My energy is high and stable
  • My skin is clear
  • I lost weight
  • My teeth are whiter (from making my own sugar-free toothpaste)
  • My nails are super-strong now

What were the biggest surprises?   
  • How satisfying most of the meals were.  Even the juice cleanse brought it's own satisfaction, because we felt so good and energetic with our systems not being bogged down with it's constant effort of digestion.
  • That it took up to 2 weeks to break my habits + cravings for a cup of coffee in the morning and a glass of wine with dinner.  After that, I barely gave them a second thought.
  • That I could use so much olive oil and nuts and still lose weight
  • What a powerful stimulant coffee is.  Before the cleanse I was drinking 1-2 big cups a day.  Now, I'm down to 1 small cup and still feel the effects up to 5 hours later!  My boyfriend is having the same experience - jittery, sweating, teeth clenching, difficulty sleeping - none of which occurred during the cleanse.  By comparison to green tea, this stuff is rocket fuel and should be used with caution, and in moderation. 

So, would I do it again?  
Yes!  I plan to make cleansing a bi-annual ritual as well, as eating healthier all the time.  I feel great on a vegetarian diet and will definitely be limiting my consumption of sugar and non whole grains going forward. 

What would I do differently?  
In the future, I feel it makes more sense for me to detox for 2-3 weeks every 6 months. Doing it after the start of the new year feels like the right time, and during swimsuit season.  I'll follow a combo macro-raw diet with a juice fast in the middle.  No need for the slow reintroduction period.  I'll still following the basic meal plan structure I outlined and prepare many of the same recipes.  Next time, since I'll already be starting from a healthier point, I'll prepare simpler dishes for the cleanse - cooked brown rice or kitchari, superfoods + lightly cooked cruciferous veggies, sprouted + fermented foods, and raw foods, follow the 6 golden rules of detox, and include many of the extra detoxification habits into my routine.


Another valuable thing I learned:  
These lessons are even more important as we get older.  Eating healthy in old age increases psychological acuteness, resistance to disease and illness, provides higher energy levels, faster recuperation times, and better control of chronic health problems.  Eating well can also be the key to a positive view and staying emotionally balanced.  So why not start now?


Eating a meal full of vital nutrients has a positive effect on healthy aging, and it prevents the decline that can come along with it.  Keeping fit as you get older includes a reasonable combination of a balanced diet and suitable exercise.  There's an excellent film Forks Over Knives that talks about how diet can prevent, and even cure, long-term illnesses and eliminate our dependency on costly pharmaceuticals as we get older.


I know that I want to age better than my parents, and their parents did.  And now I know I can.  There's no time like the present to start those good habits for a long, and healthy life. 


“The best and most efficient pharmacy is within your own system.”  - Robert C. Peale


No comments:

Post a Comment